Saturday, February 28, 2009

Quintessential Sydney

After collecting the chickens' eggs and trying to figure out my schedule for next semester (which I have no idea how to approach), I started getting ready for my Opera House day. Michelle's mom stopped by to make sure everything was going okay, which was lucky for me, because I need a little help squeezing into my dress. I hopped on the bus into the city, and leisurely made my way down to Circular Quay and the Opera House. I had left myself plenty of extra time, so I decided to meander through the Botanical Gardens, spotting beautiful flowers, at least 4 wedding parties, and the Opera House, peeking through some trees.

I then toured the symphony hall and opera theater (which is actually the small one). The tour was very interesting, and we actually got to take pictures in the symphony hall (only after the musician had left the stage - they are very strict about that).

After the tour, I grabbed a bite to eat at the Opera Bar (spaghetti with prawns (they don't call them shrimp here) and strawberry cheesecake), and then went back to the opera theater to see The Magic Flute.

I wasn't sure where my seat would be, but I ended up being in the first row of the balcony and had an excellent view. The opera was by Mozart, sung in German (with surtitles, above the stage), spoken in English. The music, acting, singing, staging and sets were all fantastic. Afterward, I grabbed a gelato for the train and bus ride home. Tomorrow I can't decide if I want to try to do the zoo, or just errands and getting organized for the week. I will have the internship Mon. - Wed. again (picture of my office below), and I am going to see A Midsummer Night's Dream at the symphony hall on Monday night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post!! I know exactly where you were , but never saw a performance at the Opera house. You look great and are doing great!! Fab fotos.. you have a bit of talent there I might say.. waiting to see more of what you do!!! xox Jody