Thursday, January 15, 2009

5 More Days!

They misunderestimated me.
- George W. Bush, Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000
Only 5 more days of having a man in office who made us the laughing stock of the world.
In an AP article by Ben Feller, it was written:

Bush and his loyal backers see his record this way: He kept the country safe from attack after terrorism redefined his presidency, cut taxes, freed the people of Afghanistan and Iraq, reformed education, oversaw 52 straight months of job growth, acted decisively when the economy tanked, stuck to principle no matter what his poll numbers, retooled the military and improved federal crisis management after the worst U.S. natural disaster happened on his watch.

To his critics, Bush wasted the world's goodwill after the Sept. 11 attacks, got the nation into a catastrophic and avoidable Iraq war, presided over a staggering 2.6 million jobs lost in 2008, ran up debt, reacted slowly to Hurricane Katrina, did more dividing than uniting and refused to listen to the will of the people.

Funny how different perspectives tell different stories of the same events...

I took a survey the other day about Obama, and how much change I think he can accomplish in his first 100 days in office. I wasn't entirely sure about that first 100 days, but I truly have hope for his presidency. When I watched his acceptance speech, I felt it. I don't even know what it was that I felt, can't put a name to it, but I felt it.


And at the same time, others are fearing for our future. Only time will tell, and until then, we have to trust that things will get better. In the words of our great leader,

There's a huge trust. I see it all the time when people come up to me and say,

'I don't want you to let me down again.'

- George W. Bush, Boston, Mass., Oct. 3, 2000

No comments: