Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Doing something that matters

The ability to convert ideas to things is the secret to outward success.
Henry Ward Beecher

I want to do something that matters.

I don't want to write for a newspaper. So many times, it includes writing articles that people have already written, asking questions I already know the answers to, talking to people whose answers are scripted, rather than honest.
I don't want to be a travel writer. What is the point of getting to travel to exotic locations and write an article that 200 people might skim? Even I don't read articles in their entirety; why should I expect other people to read my work?
There are so many more important things that need to be done in this world, and I want to find some way to start getting these things done. I want to do more than to just find something I enjoy and make a job out of it. I want to find something I enjoy doing and use those skills to help other people. Maybe that will be creating publications for non-profit organizations, maybe tutoring children from impoverished areas... who knows...

No comments: