Sunday, April 6, 2008

Independence

Well, it turned out not to be strep... which means it must be a "viral thing," or so they tell me... so I just took antibiotics that made me feel sicker since Thursday for nothing... gotta love Marist College Health Services...
Anyway, I was thinking today, that if nothing else, college as taught me how to be more independent. In high school, we couldn't go to the bathroom without bringing at least one of our friends along with us. But here, I'm perfectly comfortable going to things by myself. Usually, for me, it's random sporting events that no one wants to go to with me. For instance, the water polo game today.

That's Sam, one of my house mates. It was so much fun, and I realized at the end, that it hadn't even fazed me to go by myself. Two years ago, I probably wouldn't have gone, and if I had, I would have been self-conscious the whole time, worried that people were looking at me, thinking I didn't have any friends.
So I guess, along with the independence, came confidence. Something I thought I had a lot of, but turns out, I think I was only confident in my little Galway bubble. Outside of it, I kind of lost the ego, and along with it, the self-confidence. Which isn't always a bad thing, but I'm kind of glad I'm getting it back.

1 comment: