Wednesday, March 12, 2008

"Amy Stories"

"Oh no... this sounds like an "Amy story," one of my fellow LAS (Literary Arts Society)'ers said tonight. Apparently, my stories all seem to fall into a type... that type being the long rambling kind with random tidbits that have nothing to do with the point of the story, all leading up to an anti-climatic, not so funny final line. People usually laugh more at my attempts to get to the end of the story, than they do at the part that I find funny. At least I make them laugh I guess.
Maybe it's just because I find everything funny, which Jayce can attest to... I usually ended up being the only one laughing at every stupid thing he did. Maybe it's a nervous habit, but I find myself giggling at practically everything anyone says. Sometimes it's because I'm thinking in my head about what they said, or something that what they said made me think. Kinda of like what Tonya does, when she just starts cracking up, and can't stop laughing for long enough to tell us what was so funny.
I also have been dubbed an "interrupter" by LAS. I'm really bad at waiting for people to be done with their story before I jump in with whatever I'm thinking. I've decided it's a) because I know I'm not going to be able to remember what I was going to say by the end of their story because I feel like I have short-term memory lately and b) because if I don't say it, I'm just going to be thinking about it hard the whole time they're talking so I won't forget it by the time they're done. Either way, it means I'm a pretty bad listener, which is always something I thought I was good at. I'm an especially bad listener at LAS for some reason, not sure why, but I always seem to come out with the most random, occasionally awkward comments. Maybe it's because LAS is one of the only times during the week that I'm actually thinking on somewhat of a deeper level.
Thinking on a deeper level, like I should be right now, about my 8-10 page paper due Friday about "In Cold Blood" that I haven't started yet...

No comments: