Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Procrastination brings out the best in us

I am ashamed to see that it has been six months since I last blogged. I can't even begin to sum up everything that has happened in the past six months, so I am not even going to try. Glimpses include San Francisco, Florida, the fulfillment of very long-time-coming dreams, random reoccurring friends, lounging in the pool with Tonya, spending my days with a 5-year-old, going on my first date in over two years, making a new best guy friend because of a common goal of saving each other, torrential downpours, interesting article subjects, trips to Connecticut, a momentary revival of a flame thought long dead, Cold Stone, accusations, flower-picture-taking, working, living in Champagnat again (flashback central), walks by the river, Grease!, Avenue Q, Phantom of the Opera, Chicago, Texas, papers, poetry, kisses, snuggling, parties, Boston, Australia-planning, internship applications, newspaper and Mosaic editing, lack of sleep, and finally the feeling that college may be the best time of my life.
For the first time the other night, as I was surrounded by my literary friends in the Henry Hudson room, I thought, "I'm going to be sad to leave this place," and I never thought I would think those words. But now that I actually am leaving, in February for Australia, I am starting to get a pit in my stomach. I'm going to miss my friends, my coworkers, my fellow club members. I'm going to miss my house, and the river, and even that annoying noise the cross-walk light makes. I'm going to miss hot cocoa with the girls, Chinese food with Alex, and late nights putting together the Mosaic with Amanda. I'm going to miss losing every game of intramural volleyball with my dedicated team.
It is so strange that this place that was once so foreign, so daunting, so unwelcoming to me is now the place I am going to long for; it now holds the people that I care about so deeply, the memories that I can only hope to remember.
But now, an essay and a snuggling partner await me, so I will stop writing for tonight. I promise to write more later, and post some pictures (sometimes it helps to "say it outloud").

No comments: